Monday, July 29, 2013

Food - Greatest medicine or evil poison

It's crazy to think that the food we eat can have such a huge impact on our health, brain function and mood. As an IBS sufferer I am living proof of the poison that food can be.

It was during my research into SPD that I discovered that a number of children diagnosed with ADHD/SPD and other spectrum disorders have food intolerance's. A change in diet can be as beneficial as medication in some cases.

The next step in our journey was to eliminate gluten and reduce lactose. We have realised that we can not control the outside world, but we can control what our children eat at home. This has been an entire family change and without the support of school and kindy, it would have been impossible.

We have noticed a big change in behaviour since making these modifications. It is more noticeable after a party or gathering where the kids can eat what is on offer. The come down and process of eliminating these foods from their bodies afterwards is terrible.

I know people who don't believe in the gluten free 'phase.' But they are not parents to children who have intolerance's. I have also had it said to me that we are just jumping on the band wagon. Well if that is the band wagon to optimal health for my children, I am on a one way ride.

What people don't understand is that the food we are eating these days is nothing like the food we ate as kids. It has been so severely modified and stripped of it's natural goodness that our bodies don't recognise it as nourishment anymore. It's is treated as poison, hence the reactions our bodies have.



No comments:

Post a Comment